In 2012, pre-hung door manufacturers selling into the Canadian market will encounter a game changer that might leave some scrambling. A Canadian Supplement will be included with the update to the North American Fenestration Standard (NAFS). Some changes are significant and will require immediate attention.
Any fabricator selling into the Canadian market will be required to adhere to product marking specifications and have all exterior door products third-party tested for performance in areas that include:
- Positive & Negative Design Pressure
- Water Penetration Resistance
- Canadian Air Infiltration/Exfiltration
- Forced Entry Resistance
A grace period for compliance is likely, but exterior door producers are encouraged to act quickly to avoid over-filling at labs – and the subsequent extended lead times for testing. Currently, it can take up to six months to complete the testing process.
Since time is a factor, it's important for companies to re-examine their designs and ensure they are using components guaranteed to pass the rigorous tests outlined by the NAFS Canadian Supplement.
Get it right the first time with Imperial Products' Threshold Systems
It's no secret that thresholds can be vulnerable to water infiltration and often don't stand up to long-term pressure from snow and wind loads. Standard wood thresholds, as well as those with ‘rail over dam' designs and drain system designs might not weather the necessary tests to ensure a passing grade.
Imperial Products' 5Y Thresholds with the patented ImperiSeal™ technology will stand up to the elements – and the NAFS testing standards in all areas. ImperiSeal is a continuous filament that positively seals the adjusting rail to the deck of the sill, thus eliminating any chance of water intrusion through the threshold. Because of the tucked design of the rail and sill, these thresholds have a unitary exposure surface, providing superior performance and eliminating the need for sill pans.
Imperial Products offers a complete suite of entry solutions designed to complement and reinforce each other, improve energy performance and reduce or eliminate air and water infiltration:
- Astragals: The company's Triple Seal™ astragals are consistently the highest performing and most durable astragals available because of Imperial Products' patented TripleSEAL™ design. StrainRight™ astragals offer the same performance characteristics, but are also stainable to match fiberglass doors. All Imperial Products' astragals maximize performance and offer smooth, one-step operation.
- Weather Seals: Imperial Products' Leading Edge™ Corner Pad, 22 Sweep and EZ Pad Sweep Pad are designed to augment and complement the performance of any threshold or astragal. These unique weather seals can save on labor, boost energy efficiency and work effectively even in difficult-to-seal areas.
Contact the exclusive Canadian distributor for Imperial Products, www.doorcom.ca or by calling 866-677-8311.